Frequently Asked Questions
Why did I receive a Delinquency Notice?

Failure to appear or pay the amount shown within 20 days from the date of this notice may result in additional fees and legal action that may include, but are not limited to: a $300.00 civil assessment added to the original bail pursuant to CPC 1214.1, a $10.00 (DMV recording) fee pursuant to CVC 40508.6, a $15.00 (Automated Warrant) fee pursuant to CVC 40508.5, and possible suspension of your driving privileges imposed by the Department of Motor Vehicles pursuant to CVC 40509.5. The court may also refer your case to an outside collection agency to pursue wage garnishment and bank levies, including referral to the Franchise Tax Board for collection and/or interception of your income tax refund.

Why has my case amount increased by $300.00?

When you fail to pay or appear in court by the due date, the court may impose a $300.00 civil assessment pursuant to PC 1214.1. The civil assessment is in addition to any other fines imposed on the case.

Why have I received correspondence or a call regarding my Orange County Superior Court case from Ventura Superior Court?

Ventura Superior Court is assisting our court with collection efforts and will be reaching out to defendants that have been assigned to them regarding their delinquent cases. Please work with them directly to resolve your delinquent case.

What are the consequences for a failure to appear or pay a fine?

If you fail to appear in Court by your appearance date or fail to pay a court ordered fine, the Court may send a Delinquency Notice. The civil assessment will go into effect 20 calendar days after the court mails you the warning notice. If you do not Reserve a Court Date within the time frame or pay the fine amount shown in the warning notice the Court may take steps to suspend your driver’s license pursuant to CVC 40509/40509.5. The Court may also submit your case to an outside collection vendor to contact your employer and take the amount owed from your wages, bank account(s) or subtract it from your tax refund and/or lottery winnings.

What is considered "good cause?"

If you appear at the Collections Department and show good cause for failure to appear or failure to pay, the Court may vacate your civil assessment. Good cause may be defined as serving in the military overseas, hospitalized, incarcerated, or other extraordinary reason. You must bring written official proof signed by a military officer, doctor or incarceration record to the Collection Department.

My case is in Collections, am I eligible for traffic school?

Although your case is in Collection status, it may still be eligible for Traffic School.

Where may I make a payment on my Collections case?

Payments may be made at any of the Orange County Superior Court Locations below Monday-Friday 8:00am – 4:00pm (excluding weekends and holidays).

Online by visiting: 

At the courtesy boxes or door slots located outside of the above listed Court locations 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Payments, proof of correction with correction fee and properly completed documents placed in drop boxes before 4:00 pm on an open court date will be considered received on the same date.

By mail:

Superior Court of California County of Orange
P.O. Box 7460
Newport Beach, CA 92658-7460
Check or Money Order should be made payable to: Clerk of the Court

Pursuant to Government Code Section 71386, a $45.00 fee will be charged for each returned check.

If you have already appeared in Court and established monthly payments, you may sign up for automated online payments by visiting: 

If I reserve a court date, can I get my DMV hold released?

Orange County Superior Court does not release DMV holds for reserving a future court date. A Failure to Appear hold will be released once all counts are adjudicated in Court or if the case is paid in full. A Failure to Pay hold will be released once the case is paid in full or by judicial order.

My case is in Collections, may I request a payment plan?

Your case may be eligible for installment payments without an appearance before a Judicial Officer. For more information you may visit any Collections Department Monday through Friday between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm.

What if I have moved?

The Court is under no obligation to try to find your current address. You have an obligation to notify the court while the case is still open of any change of address.

© 2014 Superior Court of Orange County